Sunday, September 21, 2008

9-20-08 Women's Celebration

I really wanted to run the competitive 5k at the St. Luke's Women's Celebration but my friend that runs with me couldn't go so I debated for a few weeks if I wanted to run it alone or do something else. The run would have been fun even alone but I thought my girls would enjoy the party afterwards so I ended up asking them if they would like to walk/jog the noncompetitive 5k with me. They wanted to do it and we had a blast.

We got up at 7 am and tried to leave by 7:30am and found it was pouring rain. It doesn't pour rain in our area very often but that morning it was. We arrived downtown and found our starting point, for a little while we stood under an eave of a building to get out of the rain for a bit. The girls loved the different radio stations setup playing music, the rhythm (drum band), and the pipe players. There were cheerleaders and other supporters along the way to high five.

Every once in awhile Greta would get a itch to jog and Madison and I would follow her through the crowd. When she saw the finish line she started running but we were still quit a ways from it and she was about out of juice when she reached it. There was a bunch of men dressed in Tuxedos in front of the finish line that also high fives to the girls. The finish line party wasn't as good as we had expected. It was still raining and we decided to just catch a shuttle back downtown. Now here is the bad part. We stood in line for a shuttle for over an hour. Greta couldn't stop shivering and if I would have known how long it was going to take we would have just walked back downtown.

Pic - Madison, Greta, and Mom before the race
From September 2008

Pic - Greta running through the crowd of walkers
From September 2008
Pic - Madison walking in the rain
From September 2008
Pic - Madison and Greta after completing their first 5k
From September 2008

4 comments:

Wendy said...

Your girls are awesome! I don't know many kids that would like a 5k was anything to smile about, especially in the rain! What good sports! I love their bright colored jackets :-).

MnM McQuivey's said...

How fun to run/walk a 5K with your girls, and in the rain too! I would love to have half that much energy right now :o)
Here's a few answers to some of your questions. Crystal is doing great, she and Dale live in Layton Utah with their 5 almost 6 kids. Zae and Brett are 8, Nomi 6, Justin 4, Yasmine 2, and baby boy coming in November. No she does not have a blog-yet. Check out my July post and you'll see pictures of her kids. Mike and I have been in Ephraim UT for about 7 months now, before we were in Vernal UT for about 5 years. Tomorrow we are having our ultrasound and will hopefully find out what our baby is so check out my blog. Email me at majohny@excite.com so we can catch up more. Oh and I found you on a google search. It helped that I new your married name :o)

Linda Gibbs said...

How fun! Now if you can get my brother to go with you next year, I will come and stay with the kids. What's that? I hear laughing? What ever for?!heehee I love my brother!

Ang said...

Go girl power! Way to go - that's tough, especially in the rain! Good job for stickin' through it!

Meridian Lions Rodeo 2022

  June 29th 2022 - Ava had her rodeo this past weekend, the 24th and 25th.   It started on the 23rd with Slack, Ava and Chica pushed so many...