Thursday, August 8, 2019

Ava's 2019 4H Story

My 4H Story

My name is Ava Kingsbury I will be showing 4 sheep at Western Idaho Fair.  I will be showing and selling my market lamb Effie. In the breeding classes I will show Nana with her offspring Effie and Zac.  I will also be showing my new breeding ewe Cookies.  Cookies didn’t sell at the Fair last year because she didn’t make weight.  I took Zac to the Canyon County Fair but he didn’t make weight so after I show him I will need to sell him as a market lamb or pet.  Effie weighed 116 the first week of August so I don’t need to worry about her making weight. 

I started raising my own lambs 2 years ago.  I traded my brother a whether for his ewe lamb that wasn’t going to make weight.  Nana has had twins the past two years.  Then twins she had her first year were born in March and couldn’t make weight for the Western Idaho Fair but I did show in breeding classes last year at the Canyon County Fair and the Western Idaho Fair.  Those twins names were Cookies and Tyler.  This year her twins are named Effie and Zac.  I really love it when Nanna has her babies because I get to hold them.  My favorite part though is skipping part of school the day she gives birth.  Nana has always given birth around 8am. 

Last year I also showed a horse named Blaze in the in-hand classes.  That means I did the classes leading him.  We did good and Blaze did a good job.  Next year I will show my new horse Chica.  My mom and dad bought Chica on May 9th for me.  I have already been working on getting her ready for fair next year.  I have taken her on 3 long trail rides, went to the pre-fair horse show, and recently took her to New Meadows to hang out for the weekend.  I plan on taking her to Horse Camp next summer.  I have heard from my brother and sister that it is really fun but it is best if your horse is ready for it.  That is why Chica and I are already getting ready. 

Before I was old enough to show large animals I showed guinea pigs for 2 years as a Cloverbud.  I wanted to join 4H was because I wanted money and it looked fun and also I wanted to ride my horse Nick but he got to old and skinny and I could not ride him and then I got a pony named Mege and I wanted to ride and jump her , she used to be a jumping horse and then she died.

I’m really excited for the Western Idaho Fair. This will be the first time I get to sell a lamb at fair.  I can’t wait to get my market check in the mail when my brother and sister do.  4-H has helped me to learn how to take care of my animals and to be brave enough to go talk to businesses.  I go with my brother and sister to invite businesses to the market sale.  I do not always enjoy sheep practice but I got 2nd in my showmanship class at Canyon County Fair.  I won’t have as many practices before Western Idaho Fair with my Western Idaho Fair market lamb so I hope Effie does good.  Someday I want to be Grand Champion, I have to be really good for that.  I did get to show in the run-off during the Canyon County Fair though. 

After fair it will be time to breed both of my Ewes and raise babies all over again.  It is a lot of work but I also learn a lot.

-Ava Kingsbury

No comments:

Meridian Lions Rodeo 2022

  June 29th 2022 - Ava had her rodeo this past weekend, the 24th and 25th.   It started on the 23rd with Slack, Ava and Chica pushed so many...